Should your elderly parent move in with you?
Hmmm, the parents are getting older and shuffling back and forth from your house to theirs at all hours of the day and night is becoming more difficult. Is it still advisable for them to live on their own? Should they move in with you? Before answering that question with a “yes” or “no,” let’s look at some considerations:
- What are the dynamics of your relationship and the relationship with other household members? Spouse? Children? Pets?
- What might you have to do to adapt your home for their safety? Is your home accessible by wheelchair?
- Are there financial considerations to make?
- What time do you have available to care for them?
- What are your personal care considerations? In other words, will you be able to pursue your activities and self-care rituals?
- What type of care will be needed?
Remember, every family situation is different, there is no “one size fits all.”
Now that you’ve thought this through and feel this might be a viable solution, you must approach the people who will be impacted by this change.
- How and when will I broach this topic?
- How and when will I talk with my household members? What impact will this have on them? How are they willing to accommodate the new family members?
- What will be easy? What will be hard?
- If I have siblings, how will they feel? How will they help?
One of the biggest risk factors for seniors are falls. One in three adults sixty-five and older will have at least one fall. Some will get back up, while others will sustain more severe injuries. Older adults are more likely to be hospitalized following a serious fall. To prevent falls, consider the following:
- Have a walker or cane available
- Where comfortable but practical shoes
- Install handrails on stairs or even on long hallways
- Bathrooms have a list of safety features including grab bars.
- Regular exercise is a must to stay healthy
- Side effects from some medications may make one more prone to falls.
- Remove tripping hazards like area rugs.
- Have good lighting everywhere!