Parroquia de San Miguel Arcangel
Parroquia de San Miguel Arcangel was built in 1683, located in the main plaza or Jardín Allende and is the heart of San Miguel de Allende in Mexico. The church’s name honors two men: the 16th-century friar Juan de San Miguel and Ignacio Allende, who fought in Mexican War of Independence in the early 1800s. San Miguel was the first Mexican town to earn its independence. In 2008, the site was proclaimed a World Heritage Site.
The color of the building is buff pink. The spires, reaching to the sky, were designed by Zeferino Guitérrez, a self-taught architect, in the 19th century and are the only features added from the its original construction. Mr. Guitérrez was a bricklayer, self-taught, and brilliant. His inspiration came from postcards featuring European cathedrals. His vision was drawn in the soil with a stick, demonstrating his vision for he could not read or write but he could draw. He created eight bells, each having a name. The largest is La Luz, meaning “the light,” was erected in 1732; the bells peal every evening. With all its adornments, it is sometimes thought of as the “wedding cake” parish.
Some think of this as a monstrosity, other see it as magical.
Life Lesson: It is important to look at all our options and then decide what is best for us.
Thank you Marina!