It’s Pi Day! Hi, how are you? I’m fine. How are you?
Often, we feel that the asking is just the obligatory request and the real answer is not desired. Maybe we can rephrase our inquiry to elicit an honest response. For example, How’s everything going? or How are things? or even What’s up? (wassup?). Please, do not begin a long saga in response – there is concern and caring in the asking but we don’t want to belabor someone’s kindness.
Not sure how to answer? Here are some suggestions.
- I’m good – my favorite. Good enough is good enough.
- I’m pretty good.
- I’m well.
- I’m OK.
- Not too bad.
- Same old, same old.
- I’m alive! — This one is a bit of a joke but can be fun in the right situation.
- Much better now that you are with me.
Some alternate suggestions to How are you? The answers may surprise you.
- What was the best part about your day?
- What activity is most exciting you today?
- What new ideas are giving you energy lately?
- Tell me one thing you’ve learned recently that inspired you.
- What is one thing we could do right now to make this day even better?
- How are things coming along?
Life Lesson: people do care but remember, we all have our challenges so don’t burden someone’s kindness needlessly. Just by asking, there is compassion. Thank you for asking, I’m good!